martedì 25 ottobre 2022

BORING ?

 THIS IS THE KIND OF BORING BANKING I HAD IN MIND

_ I couldn't agree more with Bill Harris, who wrote about how fintechs have made life too complicated (Opinion FT Financial Literacy and inclusion Campaign, October 13).

In the graduate course on emerging markets finance that I taught during the 2000s , I suggested to my students that people would not be able to sleep peacefully at night until "banking becomes boring again".The kind of boring I had in mind was what I saw in the 1950s and 1960s when my father was a lawyer with Citibank in New York checking the fine print of loan contracts with Greek shipowners.

The opposite of boring was what my son was doing in the 2000s with a hedge fund based in Greenwich, Connecticut. We can only hope that cryptocurrencies are the last of this madness_

Lex Rieffel

Former Us Treasury departement Economist; Former Brookings Institution Scholar, Washington , Dc, US

(Above a very good letter published by the Financial Times -Gianpaolo Bernasconi's addendum: And boring is the opposite of my life !!!!!!!!! and I was born in 1969)